With holidays, vacations, work schedules, family visits, and other countless activities, making time for a doctor’s appointment this time of year is often the last item on your “to do” list. That’s why many people are turning to online virtual care visits for quick, convenient access to a health care provider.
“As more and more people become familiar with telemedicine, this will become commonplace,” says Natasha Sokolovich, executive director of telemedicine at UPMC. “The convenience of getting treatment from your couch, at work, or wherever else you happen to be is definitely something people are looking for.”
UPMC now offers a service – called UPMC AnywhereCare – that is available to anyone in Pennsylvania, 24/7, 365 days a year. The service is available for both adults and children ages 3 and up, with a cost of just $38 per visit for non-UPMC Health Plan members. UPMC Health Plan members may pay a co-pay amount, which in many cases is less.
Some of the common adult conditions that can be treated using UPMC AnywhereCare virtual visits include:
- Back pain
- Cold and flu symptoms
- Cough/sore throat/strep throat
- Poison ivy
- Pink eye
- Seasonal allergies Shingles
- Sinus infection
UPMC AnywhereCare Pediatric visits include: cold, cough, and pink eye.
How the Process Works
- You will log in through a secure website and answer a few questions about how you are feeling. A medical professional will review your answers and may ask you for additional information.
- For adults: The medical professional makes a diagnosis and develops a treatment plan. Most visits will be conducted via secure messaging, with the option of a real-time video visit.
- For children ages 3 to 18: An adult will complete and submit the questionnaire and schedule an online video appointment with a pediatrician who will provide a diagnosis and develop a treatment plan. NOTE: A proxy relationship must be established at least one business day ahead to conduct a pediatric visit.
- For both adult and pediatric visits, you will receive a quick response, typically within 30 minutes, any time of day or night. There is even an option to send a prescription to your local pharmacy. (Prescriptions do not include controlled substances.)