Not all runners get enough protein, and these no-bake protein bites are an easy, tasty and portable way to meet daily protein needs – and they also provide a good source of both fruit and vegetable. We recommend eating two bites after a run with a serving of fruit for additional carbohydrates, or having the bites alone about 30 to 60 minutes prior to a weight workout.
- 1/2 cup roasted soy nuts, puréed
- 2 tablespoons vanilla protein isolate
- 2 tablespoons grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons plum purée
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ
- Cinnamon and ginger to taste
Combine all ingredients and roll into small balls, about the diameter of a quarter. Freeze for at least one hour and thaw before eating these no bake treats.
Change it up!
- Substitute apple butter for dried plum paste
- Replace coconut with chopped nuts, such as almonds
- Go savory! Swap vanilla protein powder, coconut, cinnamon and ginger, with unflavored protein powder, crushed walnuts, and cumin, curry and chipotle to taste.
Ms. Bonci is a nutrition consultant to organizations in Pittsburgh and nationwide, including Pittsburgh’s own Penguins, Steelers, and Pirates. Among her many other roles, she has authored or co-authored several sports nutrition books, including Run Your Butt Off, and serves on the editorial advisory board of Fitness magazine.
An avid runner herself, Leslie has completed SEVEN marathons!