Packed with protein and carbohydrates, this fat-free shake will help you recover after a long run. It contains tart cherry juice, which acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and also can help with sleep. We recommend drinking an eight-ounce serving after a long run. For added carbs after a particularly long run, pair this shake with a granola bar or even blend some granola directly into the shake.
- 1/4 cup whey, soy or pea protein isolate (vanilla or unflavored)
- 1 cup frozen strawberries, sliced
- 1 small frozen banana
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup tart cherry juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour eight ounces into a glass for once serving, and refrigerate the rest.
Change it up!
- Add blueberries instead of strawberries
- Substitute pineapple for of banana
- Use half tart cherry juice and half orange juice
- Add granola for added carbs
Ms. Bonci is a nutrition consultant to organizations in Pittsburgh and nationwide, including Pittsburgh’s own Penguins, Steelers, and Pirates. Among her many other roles, she has authored or co-authored several sports nutrition books, including Run Your Butt Off, and serves on the editorial advisory board of Fitness magazine.
An avid runner herself, Leslie has completed SEVEN marathons!