Way back when, some of the first settlers to the United States used this power-packed fruit to help treat coughs, colds, and other ailments. Certainly, they knew what they were doing. Blueberries are jam packed with all sorts of nutrients, and have been known to help improve your health in a big way. And, they’re delicious! Here’s a quick breakdown of the nutritional benefits of blueberries:
- Have the highest level of antioxidants out of any fruit. The high livels of antioxidants can help neutralize free radicals, which have been linked to the development of certain types of cancer, heart disease, and conditions associated with aging.
- Low in calories and fat, and high in fiber. There’s only about 80 calories in one cup, plus almost no fat. And one handful of blueberries has enough fiber to meet your daily requirement.
- Rich in vitamin C. One cup gives you about 25 percent of your daily value. And who just eats one cup of blueberries?
- They have anthocyanins. Remember these from biology class? These flavonoids, which occur naturally in blueberries, may help counter the buildup of plaque in your arteries and improve heart health.
Here’s a simple smoothie recipe featuring blueberries and other delicious ingredients:
Easy Blueberry Smoothie
- 1 banana, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup blueberries
- 6 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk (soy milk, rice milk or almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup ice cubes, (optional)
Put all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Serves two
- 200 calories
- 4.5g fat
- 0g saturated fat
- 0mg cholesterol
- 55mg sodium
- 36g carbohydrate
- 6g dietary fiber
- 23g sugar
- 10g protein