Low in calories and fat, but packed with vitamin C and lycopene, tomatoes are a perennial favorite in salads, sauces, and other dishes. Although they’re typically thought of as a vegetable, tomatoes are actually classified as a fruit. While tomatoes are a staple for many cooked dishes, never underestimate the healthy, wholesome deliciousness of a fresh tomato. Looking for a quick and easy tomato basil appetizer to share at your next gathering of friends and families? Try out this healthy alternative to pizza or chips and queso. Make use of fresh tomatoes packed with nutrients to create this quick, simple, and delicious appetizer.
20 (1 oz portions)
- 1 lb 2 oz. diced plum tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2-1/8 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/8 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Serve with baked pita wedges or bruschetta toast.
- Hold refrigerated at 40 degrees F or below for use.
- Use within 24-48 hours.
We hope you enjoy this delicious, heart-healthy recipe. Do you have a favorite tomato-based recipe? Share it with us in the comments below. We’d love to hear from you.