Skillet ham hash is a flavorful meal that’s perfect for breakfast or brunch. We love this heart-healthy version, courtesy of the American Heart Association.
How to Make This Recipe:
Prep in a large nonstick skillet, warm the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the bell peppers and onion for four to five minutes, or until the onion is soft and the bell pepper is tender, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the ham. Cook for one to two minutes, or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the hash browns and seasoning blend. Cook without stirring for four minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown. Stir (the golden-brown pieces will be redistributed). Cook without stirring for four minutes, or until the bottom is golden brown and the mixture is heated through. Stir in the parsley, salt, and pepper.
Ingredients for Skillet Ham Hash
- Ingredients 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 cup diced lower-sodium, low-fat ham (about 4 ounces), all visible fat discarded
- 3 cups frozen fat-free southern-style diced hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Calories 205
- Total Fat 3.5 grams
- Saturated Fat 0.5 grams
- Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 grams
- Monounsaturated Fat 2 grams
- Cholesterol 12 milligrams
- Sodium 421 milligrams
- Carbohydrates 36 grams
- Fiber 5 grams
- Sugars 6 grams
- Protein 9 grams
Learn more about eating healthy and taking care of your heart. Visit the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute website.