This healthy chicken recipe makes for a quick yet satisfying weeknight dinner. We love this heart-healthy version, courtesy of the American Heart Association.
How to Make Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Put the chicken on a large plate. Sprinkle both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Using your fingertips, gently press the seasonings so they adhere to the chicken. Put 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish.
- Dip one piece of chicken at a time in the flour, turning to coat and shaking off the excess. I
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Cook the chicken for four minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Turn over and cook for two to four minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
- Transfer to a separate large plate. Cover to keep warm. Pour the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the hot skillet, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Cook the mushrooms and shallot for five minutes, or until the mushrooms are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme. Cook for one minute.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon flour over the mushroom mixture. Cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually pour in the wine. Cook for two minutes, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Stir in the broth. Bring to a simmer and simmer for two minutes, or until the sauce is thickened, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in the sour cream. Don’t let the mixture come to a boil, or the sour cream will curdle.
- Stir in the parsley. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the chicken diagonally. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
Ingredients for Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Four boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided use 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided use
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 cup dry white wine (regular or nonalcoholic)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Calories 291, total fat 8.5 grams, saturated fat 1.5 grams, polyunsaturated fat 1 grams, monounsaturated fat 4.5 grams, cholesterol 75 milligrams, sodium 306 milligrams, carbohydrates 15 grams fiber 1 gram, sugars 3 grams, protein 29 grams.
Find more information on heart health by visiting the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute website.