This healthful recipe, courtesy of the American Heart Association, makes for a great vegetarian main course.
How to Make Vegetable and Goat Cheese Phyllo Pie
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the green onions for two minutes, or until softened, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the zucchini. Cook for four minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the spinach, parsley, mint, and garlic. Cook for two minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, egg substitute, pepper, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Working quickly and keeping the unused phyllo covered with damp paper towels to prevent drying, place one sheet of phyllo in the pie pan, gently pressing on the bottom and side of the pan, letting the ends overhang the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining phyllo, placing the sheets in a crisscross pattern. Spoon the green onion mixture over the phyllo. Pour in the milk mixture, swirling if needed to cover the surface. Dot with the cheese.
- Fold the ends of the phyllo toward the center of the pan, leaving a circle of the filling showing. Lightly spray the phyllo with cooking spray. Gently press the phyllo on the filling so the phyllo will hold its shape.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Cut into wedges. Serve warm.
Vegetable and Goat Cheese Phyllo Pie Ingredients
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 to 5 medium green onions chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 sheets frozen phyllo dough (each 14 by 9 inches), thawed
- 1 1/2 ounces soft goat cheese
- Calories 230
- Total Fat 7 grams
- Saturated Fat 2 grams
- Polyunsaturated Fat 1 gram
- Monounsaturated Fat 3 grams
- Cholesterol 7 milligrams Sodium 318 milligrams
- Carbohydrates 28 grams
- Fiber 5 grams
- Sugars 12 grams
- Protein 15 grams
For more, visit the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute webpage.