After a long winter, it’s time to embrace the flavors of spring. This June, seek out in-season fruits and vegetables and reap the benefits. Seasonal produce is often less expensive and tastier than out of season foods. Keep this partial list of June seasonal produce in mind as you head to the grocery store.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You can try adding any of these fruits to smoothies, yogurt, or breakfast cereals:
- Raspberries—Containing Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin E, raspberries are also an excellent source of antioxidants.
- Strawberries—High in fiber, strawberries are rich in manganese—a trace mineral that may aid in nutrient absorption and wound healing.
- Blueberries—A source of phytonutrients, blueberries are loaded with Vitamin C and fiber.
- Arugula—As one of the best vegetable sources of Vitamin K, arugula contains folic acid, Vitamins A, and Vitamin C. This peppery green can be added to sandwiches or salads.
- Chard—A rich source of omega-3 fatty acid, chard also contains calcium for supporting healthy bones. You can saute chard or add it to soups.
- Beets—High in fiber, folate, potassium, and manganese, beets can be incorporated into soups, stews, hot and cold side dishes, and slaws.
- Asparagus—Containing antioxidant properties, asparagus is rich in Vitamin K, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A. Try sauteing asparagus and adding it to salads.
What’s your favorite seasonal recipe or shopping tip to help make the most of the current spring fruits and vegetables?
Connect with UPMC
About UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital
For more than a century, UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital has provided high-quality medical care to women at all stages of life. UPMC Magee is long-renowned for its services to women and babies but also offers a wide range of care to men as well. Our patient-first approach ensures you and your loved ones get the care you need. Nearly 10,000 babies are born each year at Magee, and our NICU is one of the largest in the country. Our network of care – from imaging centers to hospital services – provides care throughout Pennsylvania and Maryland, giving you a chance to get the expert care you need close to home. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recognizes UPMC Magee as a National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health, and the Magee-Womens Research Institute is the largest research institute in the U.S. devoted exclusively to women’s health and reproductive biology.