Chips and salsa are a staple for any game day. Although some cream- or cheese-based dips can be tasty, they are often packed with hidden fats, sodium, and empty calories.
As a healthier option, look to vegetable-based dips that can be as equally satisfying as their cheesier counterparts. Check out this healthy alternative to traditional salsa, featuring corn, tomato, and heart-healthy black beans.
Recipe serves: 20 (1 oz portion)
- 5 1/2 ounces fresh or frozen corn kernels (thawed if frozen)
- 1 ounce red onion, minced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1/2 oz sweet red peppers, diced
- 11 ounces fresh plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 ounces canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a hot, dry skillet, roast the corn until lightly browned. Cool quickly to internal temperature of 40 F.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Hold refrigerated at an internal temperature of 40 F or below for service.
- Use within 24 to 48 hours. Serve with corn chips.
Editor's Note: This recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Quick and Easy Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You can now select the specific newsletters you'd like to receive.
You are already subscribed.
Subscribe to more newsletters in our email preference center.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Connect with UPMC
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.