Low in calories and fat, but packed with vitamin C and lycopene, tomatoes are a perennial favorite in salads, sauces, and other dishes. Although they’re typically thought of as a vegetable, tomatoes are actually classified as a fruit. While tomatoes are a staple for many cooked dishes, never underestimate the healthy, wholesome deliciousness of a fresh tomato. Looking for a quick and easy tomato basil appetizer to share at your next gathering of friends and families? Try out this healthy alternative to pizza or chips and queso. Make use of fresh tomatoes packed with nutrients to create this quick, simple, and delicious appetizer.
20 (1 oz portions)
- 1 lb 2 oz. diced plum tomatoes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2-1/8 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/8 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients and mix well. Serve with baked pita wedges or bruschetta toast.
- Hold refrigerated at 40 degrees F or below for use.
- Use within 24-48 hours.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
Based in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and more than 700 doctor’s offices and outpatient centers. Our expert physicians are among the leaders in their fields, and we are leaders in groundbreaking research and treatment breakthroughs. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside ranks as “One of America’s Best Hospitals” and No. 1 in Pennsylvania in U.S. News & World Report’s listings.