As kids return to the classroom this fall, the Pittsburgh Poison Center would like to remind parents that with each new school year comes potential for exposure to any number of poisons. Items that may seem harmless, may actually contain harmful substances that, if ingested, may make children sick. Items such as caffeinated beverages, cleaning products, common classroom mainstays, and even certain medications can pose a threat to children if they are not used properly. Overall, our schools are very safe; however, several common exposures can be prevented.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Energy drinks have become more and more popular. Unfortunately, most people are not aware of the large amount of caffeine and other stimulants that may be present in these drinks. Many of these drinks, while smaller in volume, contain more caffeine than a large cup of coffee. Adolescents have reported symptoms including:
- Racing heart
Large amounts of caffeine can cause seizures and abnormal heart rhythms.
Another potentially toxic fluid that is widely available in the classroom is hand sanitizer. Handwashing is an extremely important preventive measure for infection control in schools; however, some kids will drink these alcohol-containing fluids leading to intoxication, vomiting, and even coma. If you send your children to school with containers of sanitizer, we recommend small volume containers to limit potential toxicity associated with ingestion.
Another common concern called to the Poison Center is exposure to “lead” pencils. As pencils are primarily graphite, there is no concern for lead poisoning from pencils. As our kids get older, particularly in middle and high schools, experimentation can lead to toxic exposures. It is not uncommon for adolescents to “sample” classmates’ medications or prescriptions procured from home with potentially dangerous results. This time of year, as kids are catching back up with friends in school and at social events, is a perfect time to reinforce the risks of taking someone else’s medications. At the same time, we remind parents to lock and monitor prescription medications in the home.
Finally, common sprayed office supplies such as keyboard duster as well as glues and rubber cement can be accidentally inhaled or intentionally abused. Abuse of these inhalants can lead to intoxication as well as abnormal heart rhythms.
Whenever there is any question of poison exposure, please call the Pittsburgh Poison Center at 1(800) 222-1222, at any time of day or night.
Connect with UPMC
About Pittsburgh Poison Center
The Pittsburgh Poison Center is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to provide poison information and respond to emergencies. You can call 1-800-222-1222, 24 hours a day, for emergency help. We answer more than 100,000 calls each year from across Pennsylvania, at no cost to callers. Our staff of nurse specialists has extensive training in clinical toxicology. We also created a network of more than 70 hospitals throughout the state for consultation and follow-up treatment of poison exposure. For nearly 50 years, our symbol Mr. Yuk has helped to educate children and adults about poison prevention and poison center awareness. All stickers of Mr. Yuk carry important poison control phone numbers.