Meditation, especially mindfulness meditation, has been proven to reduce stress, anxiety and often the pain that accompanies cancer and other chronic illnesses. People who practice meditation techniques regularly report feeling calmer and more positive. Here is a simple routine you can do anywhere, even at your desk!
Try out a guided practice in the video above or simply follow the instructions below:
- Sit in a comfortable position with both feet flat on the floor.
- Bring your hands to rest comfortably on your legs or in your lap, palms down, and sit up tall.
- Close your eyes or simply gaze downward.
- Bring your awareness and your attention to feel the contact:
- Between your feet and the floor
- Between your body and the chair
- Between your hands and your legs
- Return your awareness to the contact between your feet, body, chair, and floor when your mind wanders.
- Slow your breath.
- Open your eyes whenever you feel ready.
Want to learn more about integrative oncology, including yoga and other practices for cancer patients? Check out our Medical Mondays segment focused on integrative oncology.