Yoga is a great way to integrate the body, mind and spirit. It’s an opportunity to focus inward through deep breathing and stretching. Using a combination of postures (asanas), breathing exercises, relaxation, and meditative techniques, yoga promotes overall health and well-being, especially:
- Heart health
- Mental health
Try the easy sequence in the video above or follow the steps below to help relieve some stress at your desk!
- Sit on the edge of your seat with your feet flat on the floor and your spine tall.
- Close your eyes and take a few deep breaths.
- Drop your right ear towards your right shoulder, let your left shoulder soften away from your left ear and still sit really tall. Take two more breaths here.
- Repeat with the opposite side.
- Inhale, lift your hands out to the sides and all the way up overhead. Exhale and draw the hands down to your sides. As you inhale draw your right arm out in front of you, and as you exhale draw that hand across the body. Take two breaths and repeat with the opposite side.
- As you inhale lift your shoulders up towards your ear and as you exhale draw the shoulders back.
- Keeping your hands on your thighs or at your knees with your next exhale draw your belly in, round your back, create lots of space between your shoulder blades. As you inhale draw your heart through your arms and do a little backbend.
- Extend your legs out in front of you and then flex into your feet so that your toes draw back towards your face. Sit really tall and draw your hands to the edge of your chair, inhale, lift so that you get lots of length in your spine and as you exhale fold forward. Take a few breaths.
- Lift back up and as you exhale you can bend back into your knees and draw your hands to your lap.
You might also like…
Want to learn more about integrative oncology, including yoga and other practices for cancer patients? Check out our Medical Mondays segment focused on integrative oncology.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
The UPMC Center for Integrative Medicine at UPMC Shadyside combines traditional medical practices with natural healing practices. We incorporate evidence-based therapies to complement traditional treatment. Services include acupuncture, massage therapy, reflexology, and yoga therapy. We are the first hospital-based center in Pittsburgh to offer integrative medicine. We aim to provide complete care of mind, body, and spirit.