Gary Roberts from the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex recommends including protein with every breakfast. Greek yogurt is a great source of protein and will help aid in recovery from intense exercise sessions. Here’s a recipe for a Greek yogurt muesli parfait that will make a quick and easy breakfast on the go!
Muesli (serves 1-2)
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp. chia seed
- 1 tbsp. milled flax seed
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened coconut flakes
- 6 walnut or almond halves (chopped)
- 2 chopped dates or handful of organic raisins
- Sprinkle of organic cinnamon
- Option: Scoop of good quality whey isolate or vegan protein powder
- Coconut water for moisture
- Combine all ingredients except coconut water.
- Soak in coconut water for a couple minutes and enjoy with fresh berries.
Greek Yogurt Muesli Parfait (serves 1)
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt (preferably organic, 2%)
- ½ cup muesli (see previous recipe)
- ½ cup fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries etc.)
- 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup or honey
Directions for Yogurt Muesli Parfait
- Fill a mason jar with ½ cup yogurt.
- Add ¼ cup muesli and ¼ cup berries
- Add the rest of the yogurt on top.
- Top with remaining muesli and berries
Pour maple syrup or honey on top. Enjoy!