UPMC Sports Medicine, along with the UPMC Department of Emergency Medicine, and City of Pittsburgh EMS, lead a team of medical volunteers to provide care for registered runners and walkers at DICK’S Sports Goods Pittsburgh Marathon events.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Many members of the medical team have been working together each year since the first race in 1985.
The medical team is made up of more than 500 clinicians, all volunteering their time and skill, and consists of:
- Emergency medical technicians
- Certified athletic trainers
- Physical therapists
Medical tent includes general medicine, sports medicine, acute care.
- More than 15 medical aid stations along the course and at the finish line
- More than 30 ambulances from a variety of EMS agencies throughout Allegheny County
- Approximately 1 to 3 percent of participants require some type of medical attention during the race
Most common injuries:
- Muscle cramping
- Overuse sprains and strains
- Stomach cramping
- Non-adequate fluid replacement
The marathon uses a flag system to indicate weather conditions and precautions for runners. Flags are displayed at each aid station.
- Black: Event Canceled/Extreme and Dangerous Conditions. Participants Stopped/Follow Event Official Instructions.
- Red: Potentially Dangerous Conditions. Slow Down/Observe Course Changes/ Follow Event Instruction/ Consider Stopping.
- Orange: Less than Ideal Conditions. Slow Down/Be Prepared for Worsening Conditions
- Green: Good Conditions. Enjoy the Event/Be Alert.
- White: Risk for Hypothermia. Wear Top Layers to Discard on the Course as the Day Warms Up.
About Sports Medicine
An athletic lifestyle carries the potential for injury. Whether you’re an elite athlete or a weekend warrior, UPMC Sports Medicine can help. If you are looking to prevent, treat, or rehabilitate a sports injury, our multidisciplinary team of experts can help you get back into the game. If you are seeking to improve your athletic performance, we can work with you to meet your goals. We serve athletes and active people of all ages and experience levels. Our goal is to help you keep doing what you love. Visit our website to find a specialist near you.