It can be a celebratory gesture — a toast at a wedding or a tinted-green brew on St. Patrick’s Day. Drinking alcohol is a part of many celebrations.
When used responsibly, alcoholic beverages can be safely consumed. Too much drinking, whether chronic use or binging, can cause serious health problems. One of the most threatening of these is alcohol poisoning, a potentially fatal condition.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
What Is Alcohol Poisoning?
When you drink an alcoholic beverage, alcohol is absorbed through the stomach and enters the blood stream. The liver is responsible for breaking it down, so it can exit the body. But the liver can only break down a certain amount at a time.
If a person drinks excessively, it overwhelms the liver’s ability to break down the alcohol, and the blood alcohol level rises, causing more severe symptoms of intoxication.
If drinking continues, the levels become toxic to the body and, in severe circumstances, can cause loss of consciousness and death.
You might also like…
What Happens to the Body During Alcohol Poisoning?
- At low levels of blood alcohol, the brain is both excited and calmed. You may experience minor visual problems and slurred speech, as well as some temporary memory loss and impaired judgment.
- As you continue to drink, these issues become more pronounced.
- As the level of alcohol rises, your internal organs, particularly your brain, may suffer damage. The drive to breathe is suppressed. Drinkers can also experience a suppressed gag reflex, which can lead to choking on one’s own vomit. The heart rate slows down, and body temperature drops.
Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning
If you notice these symptoms in yourself or someone else who has been drinking, immediately call 911 to get medical attention. Don’t wait to see all the symptoms before you get help.
- “Blacked out” or unable to wake up, non-responsive
- Slow breathing, or fewer than eight breaths per minute
- Lowered body temperature
Preventing Alcohol Poisoning
The most important thing that you can do to prevent alcohol poisoning is to limit the number of alcoholic beverages that you drink at one time.
You can try consuming non-alcoholic beverages in between alcoholic ones. Don’t drink on an empty stomach, and drink with trusted, responsible people who can help limit your intake.
Emergencies can happen in the blink of an eye or the beat of the heart. And when they do, seconds matter. UPMC’s emergency and trauma care services are ready to provide world-class care, no matter how serious your emergency. All our emergency departments have a full-time staff of emergency specialists at the ready 24 hours a day. We use advanced technology to diagnose and treat your condition and coordinate with your doctor to provide the best care possible. We also have specialized trauma care, including Level 1 trauma centers at UPMC Presbyterian and UPMC Mercy, a Level 1 pediatric trauma center at UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, a Level 2 trauma center at UPMC Hamot, and a trauma center at UPMC Altoona.