This healthy chicken recipe makes for a quick yet satisfying weeknight dinner. We love this heart-healthy version, courtesy of the American Heart Association.
How to Make Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Put the chicken on a large plate. Sprinkle both sides with the salt and pepper.
- Using your fingertips, gently press the seasonings so they adhere to the chicken. Put 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish.
- Dip one piece of chicken at a time in the flour, turning to coat and shaking off the excess. I
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Cook the chicken for four minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom.
- Turn over and cook for two to four minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
- Transfer to a separate large plate. Cover to keep warm. Pour the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the hot skillet, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Cook the mushrooms and shallot for five minutes, or until the mushrooms are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the garlic and thyme. Cook for one minute.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon flour over the mushroom mixture. Cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually pour in the wine. Cook for two minutes, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Stir in the broth. Bring to a simmer and simmer for two minutes, or until the sauce is thickened, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat to low.
- Stir in the sour cream. Don’t let the mixture come to a boil, or the sour cream will curdle.
- Stir in the parsley. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the chicken diagonally. Pour the sauce over the chicken.
Ingredients for Pan-Seared Chicken Breasts with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Four boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided use 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided use
- 12 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 cup dry white wine (regular or nonalcoholic)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Calories 291, total fat 8.5 grams, saturated fat 1.5 grams, polyunsaturated fat 1 grams, monounsaturated fat 4.5 grams, cholesterol 75 milligrams, sodium 306 milligrams, carbohydrates 15 grams fiber 1 gram, sugars 3 grams, protein 29 grams.
Find more information on heart health by visiting the UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute website.
Editor's Note: This recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Our Favorite Chicken Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
The UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute has long been a leader in cardiovascular care, with a rich history in clinical research and innovation. As one of the first heart transplant centers in the country and as the developer of one of the first heart-assist devices, UPMC has contributed to advancing the field of cardiovascular medicine. We strive to provide the most advanced, cutting-edge care for our patients, treating both common and complex conditions. We also offer services that seek to improve the health of our communities, including heart screenings, free clinics, and heart health education. Find an expert near you.