Try this veggie skillet recipe, courtesy of the American Heart Association, for a quick and easy heart-healthy side dish.
Herbed Veggie Skillet Recipe
- 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- 8 ounces sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1/3 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons water (plus more if needed)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon (scant) dried oregano, crumbled
- Pepper to taste
Preparing Your Herbed Veggie Skillet
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Cook the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper for 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the pepper.
- Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
Calories: 69, Total Fat: 2.5 grams, Saturated Fat: 0 grams, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 gram, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, Sodium: 9 milligrams, Carbohydrates: 11 grams, Fiber: 2 grams, Sugars: 3 grams, Protein: 2 grams
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
The UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute has long been a leader in cardiovascular care, with a rich history in clinical research and innovation. As one of the first heart transplant centers in the country and as the developer of one of the first heart-assist devices, UPMC has contributed to advancing the field of cardiovascular medicine. We strive to provide the most advanced, cutting-edge care for our patients, treating both common and complex conditions. We also offer services that seek to improve the health of our communities, including heart screenings, free clinics, and heart health education. Find an expert near you.