Try this veggie skillet recipe, courtesy of the American Heart Association, for a quick and easy heart-healthy side dish.
Herbed Veggie Skillet Recipe
- 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- 8 ounces sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1/3 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons water (plus more if needed)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon (scant) dried oregano, crumbled
- Pepper to taste
Preparing Your Herbed Veggie Skillet
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Cook the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper for 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the pepper.
- Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
Calories: 69, Total Fat: 2.5 grams, Saturated Fat: 0 grams, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 gram, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, Sodium: 9 milligrams, Carbohydrates: 11 grams, Fiber: 2 grams, Sugars: 3 grams, Protein: 2 grams
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
The UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute ranks among the best in the United States for complete cardiovascular care. U.S. News & World Report lists UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the top hospitals nationally for cardiology and heart surgery. We treat all manners of heart and vein conditions, from the common to the most complex. We are creating new medical devices and cutting-edge treatments that may not be available at other hospitals. We also offer screenings, free clinics, and education events in the community.