Try this veggie skillet recipe, courtesy of the American Heart Association, for a quick and easy heart-healthy side dish.
Herbed Veggie Skillet Recipe
- 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- 8 ounces sliced zucchini
- 1/4 cup sliced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1/3 cup diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons water (plus more if needed)
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon (scant) dried oregano, crumbled
- Pepper to taste
Preparing Your Herbed Veggie Skillet
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom.
- Cook the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper for 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the pepper.
- Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender, adding more water if necessary.
- Sprinkle with pepper.
Calories: 69, Total Fat: 2.5 grams, Saturated Fat: 0 grams, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1 gram, Monounsaturated Fat: 1.5 grams, Cholesterol: 0 milligrams, Sodium: 9 milligrams, Carbohydrates: 11 grams, Fiber: 2 grams, Sugars: 3 grams, Protein: 2 grams
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
The UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute has long been a leader in cardiovascular care, with a rich history in clinical research and innovation. As one of the first heart transplant centers in the country and as the developer of one of the first heart-assist devices, UPMC has contributed to advancing the field of cardiovascular medicine.