While we do everything we can to make sure you are safe during your hospital stay, you can play an important role, too.
Learn more about how you can protect yourself during a stay at the hospital.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Tips for Staying Safe in the Hospital
1. Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 15 seconds. If you’re not able to get to a sink, opt for waterless hand sanitizer.
2. Always get in and out of your hospital bed on the “safe exit” side, and use the call bell any time you feel you need help.
Fun fact: Sing “Happy Birthday” twice as you wash your hands. It’s a simple way to make sure you’re washing for the right amount of time.
3. Keep a record of all the medications that you’re currently taking, as well as a list of all allergies and reactions you’ve had to medications and vaccines. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions about documenting this.
4. Condition Help is a patient safety hotline. Call Condition Help if there is a breakdown in how your care is given, or if you cannot get a hold of hospital staff. Visit the Condition Help website to find a list of phone numbers.
5. Many resources are available for you and your family through the UPMC Disabilities Resource Center. For more information, ask a member of your health care team.
You might also like…
A $21 billion health care provider and insurer, Pittsburgh-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centered, cost-effective, accountable care. The largest nongovernmental employer in Pennsylvania, UPMC integrates more than 90,000 employees, 40 hospitals, 700 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, and a 3.8 million-member Insurance Services Division, the largest medical insurer in western Pennsylvania. In the most recent fiscal year, UPMC contributed $1.4 billion in benefits to its communities, including more care to the region’s most vulnerable citizens than any other health care institution, and paid more than $500 million in federal, state, and local taxes. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial, and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialization arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside on its annual Honor Roll of America’s Best Hospitals and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. For more information, go to UPMC.com.