While we do everything we can to make sure you are safe during your hospital stay, you can play an important role, too.
Learn more about how you can protect yourself during a stay at the hospital.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You can now select the specific newsletters you'd like to receive.
You are already subscribed.
Subscribe to more newsletters in our email preference center.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Tips for Staying Safe in the Hospital
1. Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 15 seconds. If you’re not able to get to a sink, opt for waterless hand sanitizer.
2. Always get in and out of your hospital bed on the “safe exit” side, and use the call bell any time you feel you need help.
Fun fact: Sing “Happy Birthday” twice as you wash your hands. It’s a simple way to make sure you’re washing for the right amount of time.
3. Keep a record of all the medications that you’re currently taking, as well as a list of all allergies and reactions you’ve had to medications and vaccines. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have questions about documenting this.
4. Condition Help is a patient safety hotline. Call Condition Help if there is a breakdown in how your care is given, or if you cannot get a hold of hospital staff. Visit the Condition Help website to find a list of phone numbers.
5. Many resources are available for you and your family through the UPMC Disabilities Resource Center. For more information, ask a member of your health care team.
Connect with UPMC
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.