Craving chocolate but not extra sugar?
Our oh-so-simple chocolate bark recipe includes all-natural honey and peppermint extract for flavor without the empty calories.
After you make your bark, break it up and serve for a no-fuss snack at your next get-together. It’s a great substitute for traditional holiday candies.
Cooking time:2 hours
Recipe serves: 12
- 4 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- Optional: crushed peppermints, sea salt, coconut flakes, nuts for toppings
- Place the unsweetened chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler on medium-high heat. While the chocolate and coconut oil is melting, get an 8×8 dish and line with parchment paper.
- Let heat until all of the chocolate and coconut oil is melted, and mix gently with a spoon. Turn off the heat, then add the honey and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add the peppermint extract and mix.
- Pour mixture into the dish and freeze for about 10 minutes. Then pull the chocolate out of the freezer to add toppings. The chocolate should be slightly harder but still melted enough to hold the toppings.
- Put the chocolate back in the freezer and allow to freeze for about 1-2 hours until it is hard.
- Break apart into smaller pieces and serve.
Editor's Note: This recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.