Light and Creamy Green Bean Casserole Recipe
If you’re craving comfort food but don’t want to skimp on your diet, try this lighter version of a dinnertime classic: green bean casserole.
This recipe brings together nutritious and healthy ingredients without taking away from the creamy flavor of your favorite casserole. Serve up this savory side dish at your next get-together.
Lightened-Up Creamy Green Bean Casserole
Cooking Time: 1 Hour
Serving Size: 5
- 2 pounds trimmed green beans
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 diced yellow onion
- Pinch of salt
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups soy milk
- Nutmeg to taste
- Optional: french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add green beans to the boiling water and cook for 3 minutes, or until desired tenderness. Make sure not to overcook.
- Drain and rinse under cold water until beans are completely cooled.
- Place beans in a large mixing bowl, and set aside.
- In the meantime, melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet.
- Add onions to the skillet and season with pinch of salt; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the mushrooms, turn up the heat to medium-high and continue to cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and transfer mushroom mixture to a large mixing bowl with the green beans. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, melt 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour; continue to whisk for about 1 minute, or until flour mixture turns light brown.
- Slowly pour in the soymilk and continue to whisk and cook for 4 minutes, or until thickened.
- Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg; remove from heat.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir the sauce and pour it over the green beans and mushrooms; toss to combine and coat evenly.
- Transfer the green beans mixture to previously prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until sauce bubbles.
- Remove from oven and let stand several minutes.
- Stir well before serving
- Optional: top with french fried onions