If you’re tired of the same-old salads, try this colorful alternative instead.
Pinto beans are a good source of fiber, while avocado adds a creamy texture and healthy fats. You may forget you’re even eating a salad.
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1 1/2 limes, juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/3 cups fresh corn kernels (from about 2 ears)
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small Hass avocado, halved, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, leaves and stems
Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
Recipe Serves: 4
- Make the dressing: Smash the garlic clove, sprinkle with a pinch of the salt, and, with the flat side of a large knife, mash and smear the mixture to a coarse paste. Whisk the garlic paste, lime juice, remaining salt and chili powder together in a bowl. Gradually whisk in the olive oil, starting with a few drops and then adding the rest in a steady stream.
- For the salad: Toss together the beans, corn, bell pepper, and onions. Add the dressing and toss to coat evenly. Gently fold in the tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Weeknight Dinner Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 700 doctorsâ€™ offices and outpatient centers, with locations in central and western Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nationâ€™s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Childrenâ€™s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of Americaâ€™s Best Childrenâ€™s Hospitals.