Nutrient-dense Kimchi is an easy way to incorporate “healthy bacteria” into your diet. Kimchi is fermented cabbage that is common in Korean foods; but how can you easily add it into your meals?
This brown rice dish is an easy and delicious way to cook with Kimchi and it is sure to be a dinner-time win for the whole family.
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
Recipe Serves: 4
- Mix the kimchi, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar in a small bowl or measuring cup until the sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the mushrooms and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release water, about 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and continue to stir until the mushrooms are lightly browned and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits in the skillet, and simmer until slightly reduced, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the kimchi mixture and cook until everything is heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with the scallions. Serve hot.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
Based in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and more than 700 doctor’s offices and outpatient centers. Our expert physicians are among the leaders in their fields, and we are leaders in groundbreaking research and treatment breakthroughs. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside ranks as “One of America’s Best Hospitals” and No. 1 in Pennsylvania in U.S. News & World Report’s listings.