Nutrient-dense Kimchi is an easy way to incorporate “healthy bacteria” into your diet. Kimchi is fermented cabbage that is common in Korean foods; but how can you easily add it into your meals?
This brown rice dish is an easy and delicious way to cook with Kimchi and it is sure to be a dinner-time win for the whole family.
Cooking time:30 minutes
Recipe serves: 4
- 1/2 cup kimchi (not strained), chopped
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps quartered
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, chilled, or 3 cups frozen brown rice
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Mix the kimchi, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar in a small bowl or measuring cup until the sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the mushrooms and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms release water, about 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and continue to stir until the mushrooms are lightly browned and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits in the skillet, and simmer until slightly reduced, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice, reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the kimchi mixture and cook until everything is heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with the scallions. Serve hot.
Editor's Note: This video_recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Weeknight Dinner Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.