More than 2,800 people each year will die while waiting for a liver transplant. But, they don’t have to.
UPMC is proud to announce that we are continuing our commitment to saving lives through living-donor liver transplants. For more than 30 years, UPMC experts have made an indelible mark on the field of transplant medicine. Today, as one of the oldest and largest transplant programs and a national leader in living-donor liver transplant, we are excited to offer hope to patients waiting for a life-saving liver transplant.
Learn more from the Wall Street Journal about how UPMC is leading the drive for living donor liver transplants.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe for information and articles on organ transplantation
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Living-Donor Liver Transplant
Living-donor liver transplants provide a life-saving option for patients in need of a liver transplant. If you, or someone you love, has been diagnosed with end-stage liver disease, we encourage you to talk to your family about living donation. By helping to reduce time spent on the transplant waiting list, you can receive a transplant sooner – getting you back to enjoying life with your family and loved ones. That is why we see it as a first-line option for patients on the liver transplant waiting list.
Additional benefits include:
- Little or no wait time
- Faster recovery time
- Improved long-term outcomes
You might also like…
Supporting Liver Transplant Patients Every Step of the Way
At UPMC, we understand how difficult this process can be for patients and their families, so we are dedicated to helping every patient along this journey. We have a variety of resources available, including:
- UPMC Living Donor Champion Program – UPMC will help you identify a Champion: a family, friend, or loved one who provides support in finding a donor, so you can focus on staying healthy. Through the UPMC Living Donor Champion Program, patients and their support system can take advantage of the following resources:
- Champion Workshops – Attend a free educational workshop about living donation and resources for finding a donor
- Champion Ambassador – Our Living Donor Champion Ambassador is available to provide personal support to you and your Champion via phone or the online Champion Support Group.
- Living Donor Champion Information Sessions – the UPMC Living Donor Transplant team will provide materials so you can host an event in your community to share your story and find a living donor.
- Living Donor Social Hub – Join our Facebook page to learn more about living donation and interact with patients going through the same thing as you.
- Living Donor Transplant Team – You and your donor will have access to the living donor transplant team at all times to ask any questions or raise any concerns.
If you or a loved one needs a liver transplant don’t wait. Visit LifeChangingLiver.com for more information about living-donor liver transplants at UPMC.
About Transplant Services
Established in 1981, UPMC Transplant Services is one of the foremost organ transplant centers in the world. Our clinicians have performed more than 20,000 organ transplant procedures, including liver, kidney, pancreas, single and double lung, heart, and more. We are home to some of the world’s foremost transplant experts and have a long history of developing new antirejection therapies—so organ recipients can enjoy better health with fewer restrictions.