The perfect make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings, this egg bake is packed with protein, dietary fiber, and B vitamins – a combination that will stabilize blood glucose levels and leave you feeling satisfied and energized all day long.
Cooking time:38 minutes
Recipe serves: 10 servings
- 12 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 10 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bunch green onions, minced
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9-by-13 baking dish with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, water, salt, and pepper.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté the spinach until it wilts (about 2 to 3 minutes).
- Add the black beans, cumin, and oregano to the skillet, stirring until well-mixed.
- Transfer the spinach-bean mixture to the prepared baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Pour the eggs over the spinach-bean mixture.
- Add the green onions. Use a fork to stir, ensuring that the spinach-bean mixture and green onions are fully coated in egg.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top of the egg bake. Bake for 35 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through.
Editor's Note: This recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Quick and Easy Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.