This lightened-up, Tex Mex-style recipe has all the flavor of traditional nachos without all of the extra fat and carbs!
Adapted from “Diabetes Food Hub”
Cooking time:25 minutes
Recipe serves: 6 servings
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅔ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 24 whole-grain tortilla chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 2½ quart baking dish with nonstick spray set aside.
- Season the chicken with the pepper. Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced chicken pieces to the heated pan, and cook for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, black beans, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder. Reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken mixture into the prepared baking dish, distributing evenly along the bottom. Sprinkle the cheese over top of the chicken.
- Layer on the tortilla chips.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Our Favorite Chicken Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
About UPMC Harrisburg
UPMC Harrisburg is a nationally recognized leader in providing high-quality, patient-centered health care services in south central PA. and surrounding rural communities. UPMC Harrisburg includes seven acute care hospitals and over 160 outpatient clinics and ancillary facilities serving Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, Juniata, Franklin, Adams, and parts of Snyder counties. These locations care for more than 1.2 million area residents yearly, providing life-saving emergency care, essential primary care, and leading-edge diagnostic services. Its cardiovascular program is nationally recognized for its innovation and quality. It also leads the region with its cancer, neurology, transplant, obstetrics-gynecology, maternity care, and orthopaedic programs.