White whole wheat flour has all of the nutrition found in conventional whole wheat flour, but it is less dense and helps baked goods to remain fluffy. Substituting unsweetened applesauce for oil in baking also significantly reduces the total fat and calories in the final product.
Adapted from “Hummusapien”
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat waffle iron spray well with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and yogurt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Add the applesauce, mixing until just blended.
- Pour the batter into the preheated waffle iron. Cook according to the waffle iron directions. Between each waffle, coat the iron with additional cooking spray between if needed.
Serving Size: 6-8 waffles
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
About UPMC Pinnacle
UPMC Pinnacle is a nationally recognized leader in providing high-quality, patient-centered health care services in south central PA. and surrounding rural communities. UPMC Pinnacle includes seven acute care hospitals and over 160 outpatient clinics and ancillary facilities serving Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, Juniata, Franklin, Adams, and parts of Snyder counties. These locations care for more than 1.2 million area residents yearly, providing life-saving emergency care, essential primary care, and leading-edge diagnostic services. Its cardiovascular program is nationally recognized for its innovation and quality. It also leads the region with its cancer, neurology, transplant, obstetrics-gynecology, maternity care, and orthopaedic programs.