Every year, nearly 200,000 children under the age of 15 years are seen in emergency departments for toy-related injuries; more than 500 every day (Safe Kids Worldwide).
Here are a few tips to keep in mind when shopping for toys:
- Choose toys based on the child’s age and developmental level and check for small parts or other choking hazards.
- Be sure to include a helmet with any riding toy. (Bicycle, scooter, skateboard, sled, skis, etc.)
- Make sure toys are stored safely after play to prevent fall injuries and that bins or containers do not have hinges that can cause injuries. It’s safest to choose a bin without a lid.
- Be cautious with any toy containing button batteries or magnets. They are dangerous if swallowed and require immediate medical attention; if it makes noise or lights up there’s a button battery inside.
- Avoid toys with strings, loops of material or ribbons which can become a strangulation hazard for small children.
- Sign up for recall alerts at www.safekids.org or visit the Consumer Product Safety Commission list of recalled toys at www.recalls.gov.
Have a wonderful and safe holiday season. If you have specific questions or need to have your child fitted for a bike helmet, please contact the injury prevention department at 412-692-8229.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.