When it comes to prepping for your baby’s big arrival, it’s a good idea to start packing your maternity bag a few weeks in advance.
Your delivery bag should include the essentials — items such as comfortable clothes and slippers, phone chargers, and a list of your medications. The experts at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital also recommend bringing along a few extra comforts from home to make your delivery just a little bit easier.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to our pregnancy and childbirth newsletter
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Packing for Two: What to Include in Your Delivery Bag
- Toiletries such as lotion, lip balm, toothbrush, sanitary pads, deodorant, hair ties. The hospital will have many of these items, but feel free to bring your favorite body wash, lotion, or shampoo if you’d like.
- Snacks and drinks (maybe juice if you prefer)
- Comfortable socks and slippers to keep your feet warm
- An extra blanket and/or pillow for comfort
- Phone charger and phone
- Glasses if you wear them
- Comfortable clothes, maternity bras, underwear, pajamas, and shoes
- Going-home outfit for baby
- Photo ID and any necessary paperwork
- List of medications
- Items to help you relax: Books, magazine, puzzle, earbuds
- A small table fan
- A cozy robe
- Nursing cover-up
- A white noise app on your phone to help with relaxation
- Eye mask
You might also like…
For more than a century, UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital has provided high-quality medical care to women at all stages of life. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recognizes Magee as a National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health. More than 9,000 babies are born each year at Magee. The hospital also treats men for a variety of conditions, including surgical treatment. The Magee-Womens Research Institute was the first center to focus research only on conditions involving women and their infants.