Residents of central and north central Pennsylvania now have access to world-class care at UPMC in the communities where they live.
As a renowned academic medical center, the hospital is recognized for groundbreaking discoveries, including advancements in organ transplantation, imaging technology, and immunotherapy. We work closely alongside our partner, the University of Pittsburgh, a top 10 recipient of funding from the National Institutes of Health since the 1990s. In total, the system employs 92,000 doctors, nurses, professionals, and clinical staff.
A History of Innovation
- In 1893, the story of UPMC began when its tertiary care hospital was founded. This facility is now known as UPMC Presbyterian — its flagship hospital.
- In 1973, two hospitals —Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic and the University of Pittsburgh Department of Psychiatry — restructured which led to a new era of research-based medicine.
- In 1986, University of Pittsburgh-affiliated hospitals merged: Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Presbyterian-University Hospital and Eye & Ear Hospital of Pittsburgh. This new organization evolved into what is now UPMC.
- In 1990, the system adopted the name University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
- In 1997, the hospital system chose to complement its provider network with a health insurance product. Today, the UPMC Health Plan is the largest medical insurer in western Pennsylvania and has expanded to include patients in central and north central Pennsylvania.
- In 2017, PinnacleHealth System, a group of seven hospitals in central Pennsylvania, and Susquehanna Health, a group of five hospitals in north central Pennsylvania, connecting health care services throughout the state.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Connections To Providers
Patients have access to local care providers and other medical experts throughout the organization. They work closely together to ensure patients receive the highest quality of care.
“What I love most about being a part of UPMC is the access to world-class surgeons,” says Sharee Livingston, DO, chair of obstetrics and gynecology at UPMC Lititz in Lancaster County, Pa. “There are things that I may not be able to do, but I can pick up the phone or send an email to my colleagues in Pittsburgh and get an immediate response. We work as a team to provide excellent, expanded care to the patients that I’m seeing in central Pennsylvania.”
The partnerships established by these doctors allow for extended camaraderie through the system.
“I think the biggest thing that I appreciate most about being part of UPMC is the collaborations and new friendships that we have built over the last few years,” says Mubashir Mumtaz, MD, cardiothoracic surgeon, UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute. He see patients in Harrisburg, Hanover, and York. “Medicine is about building relationships with people, both your colleagues and patients. Being part of UPMC has given us the opportunity to take those relationships farther.”
Connections to Clinical Trials
Through the partnership, patients in central and north central Pennsylvania now have access to a broader selection of clinical trials. Patients can enroll in trials which may not have been previously available.
“Being part of UPMC gives us greater access to a multitude of clinical trials,” says Abdalla Sholi, MD, hematologist-oncologist at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center in Williamsport. “We have a close relationship with our colleagues in Pittsburgh, which makes it easy to discuss patient care and any trials that may be available to that patient. It is a unique chance for patients to access new trials locally.”
Connections To New Services
Clinical partnerships allow local patients access to new and enhanced specialty services. Among them:
Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh
Care for children includes:
- Pediatric primary care.
- UPMC Children’s Telemedicine Emergency Department at UPMC Harrisburg and UPMC Williamsport.
- Children’s Specialty Care at UPMC Central Pa.
- Inpatient care at UPMC Children’s Harrisburg.
UPMC Heart and Vascular Institute
A wide range of advanced heart and vascular services that cover:
- Open heart surgery.
- Trans aortic valve replacement (TAVR).
- Cardiac catheterizations.
- Valve repairs.
- Bypass surgery.
- Access to clinical trials.
- Specialized hybrid operating room.
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center
UPMC Hillman Cancer Center is one of only three National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in Pennsylvania and offers patients access to:
- Clinical trials.
- Advanced surgical oncology procedures.
Our skilled neurosurgeons are committed to finding the best treatment approach for our patients by providing:
- Comprehensive stroke care.
- Surgical services for complex spine, brain and nerve conditions.
- Inpatient rehabilitation, certified in stroke, traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury.
- Outpatient rehab.
UPMC Transplant Services
Teams in central and north central Pennsylvania work closely with the transplant team in Pittsburgh to offer new transplant services to local patients, including:
- Pre- and post-transplant liver evaluations.
- Pre- and post-transplant kidney evaluations
- Kidney transplant surgery (UPMC in Central Pa.).
UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital and local ob-gyn doctors provide comprehensive health care for women including:
- Prenatal care.
- Labor and delivery services.
- Gynecologic specialties.
Find a Doctor Close to Home
The connections UPMC has with an entire, integrated network of doctors and medical experts allow patients access to life-changing medicine right where they live. To find a local provider by specialty or location, or to schedule an appointment, visit our Find A Doctor.
Connect with UPMC
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.