This winter vegetable bowl is the perfect healthy and vibrant meal.
Beets, kale, butternut squash, and brussels sprouts create a healthy, hearty meal and a rainbow in your bowl. Easy to assemble and irresistible — the perfect dish for meat-free Monday or any day of the week!
Maple Mustard Dressing
- ¼ cup water
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- ¼ tsp ground thyme
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
In a blender, add the water, garlic, vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, thyme and salt and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy, approximately 1 minute.
Winter Vegetable Bowl
Total time: 40 minutes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
- 1 large beet
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 lb brussels sprouts
- 4 cups kale
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil optional
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: Toppings chopped green onions, chopped roasted cashews, and basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Peel and cube the beets and butternut squash (remove seeds) into bite size pieces. Slice the ends off the Brussels sprouts and slice in half.
- Evenly spread the vegetables on a large rimmed baking pan. Use two pans if you run out of room. Lightly drizzle the olive oil (see note) over the vegetables and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Roast for approximately 45 minutes (toss the vegetables halfway through roasting), or until they are caramelized and fork tender. Recipe note: The olive oil drizzle is optional. It will give the vegetables a nice crispy texture.
- While the vegetables are roasting, cook the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- While the rice is cooking, make the dressing.
- Put the rice in a large bowl and the vegetables on top. Toss with the dressing and divide into four bowls. Garnish with the green onions, cashews, and basil leaves.
Serving size: 4 servings
Editor's Note: This video_recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.