This yummy slow-cooker chicken and white bean stew makes meal prep a snap.
There’s nothing better than coming home to a delicious and hearty stew after a long day at school or work. The slow cooker makes it easier than ordering takeout!
Preparation time:15 minutes
- 1 pound dried cannellini beans, soaked and drained
- 6 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 (4 ounce) Parmesan cheese rind plus ⅔ cup grated Parmesan, divided
- 2 bone-in chicken breasts (1 pound each)
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Combine beans, broth, onion, carrots, rosemary and Parmesan rind in a 6-quart slow-cooker. Top with chicken. Cover and cook on Low until the beans and vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 hours.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Shred the chicken, discarding bones.
- Return the chicken to the slow-cooker and stir in kale. Cover and cook on high until the kale is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper; discard the Parmesan rind. Serve the stew drizzled with oil and sprinkled with Parmesan and parsley.
Editor's Note: This video_recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.