fertility specialist

You’ve decided you want to get pregnant. You’ve stopped birth control. You have sex regularly. Maybe you’ve looked into some ovulation calendars or tests, but still nothing is happening.

It’s common to be frustrated when you don’t get pregnant as soon as you’d hoped. You may begin to wonder whether you should see a doctor about your fertility.

Never Miss a Beat!

Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!

Message and data rates may apply. Text the word STOP to opt out and HELP for help. Click here to view the privacy and terms.

When Is It Time to Talk About Fertility Struggles?

Most couples are able to conceive on their own within a year. However, if you’ve been having unprotected sex for a year or more and haven’t become pregnant, you may want to see if your doctor can refer you to a fertility specialist.

For women age 35 or older, your chances of infertility increase. You’ll want to start a conversation with your doctor after six months of trying to conceive.

Learn more about the comprehensive specialty care at Magee-Womens, UPMC Hamot, located in Erie, PA.

If you have a medical condition that can lead to fertility problems such as endometriosis, fibroids, or previous cancer treatment, you’ll want to talk to your doctor before trying to get pregnant. You can work together to monitor your condition and look for any possible risks of infertility to get treatment quickly.

What Causes Infertility?

If you’re struggling to get pregnant, it can be because of a range of issues with the man or woman. Sometimes lifestyle habits like smoking, drinking, and poor diet can make it harder to get pregnant.

In about 40 percent of couples with infertility, the woman has a medical condition. These include:

  • Problems with ovulation
  • Age
  • Tubal abnormalities
  • Uterine abnormalities
  • Endometriosis
  • Other medical issues

Nearly half of all conception problems are because of male infertility. This usually means there’s a problem with his sperm, and this can be caused by:

  • Antibodies
  • Environmental factors, such as exposure to chemicals
  • Spending long periods of time in a hot tub
  • Varioceles (varicose veins in the scrotum)

How Do I Start Seeking Treatment?

First, you’ll want to talk with your primary care physician or gynecologist about your concerns. Your provider can then refer you and your partner to a fertility specialist.

When you meet with a specialist, he or she will review your medical history and perform diagnostic tests such as:

  • Imaging scans
  • Blood tests
  • Semen analysis

Once the specialist determines the cause of infertility, you can begin to talk about treatment options.

You have many treatment options depending on the cause from ovulation induction to in vitro fertilization. These methods have been successful for many couples, and there is reason to hope for a successful pregnancy.

Be sure to ask all the questions you need to at your early appointments, and always talk about cost. Fertility treatment can be expensive, so find out what it costs and what payment options the provider offers.

To find more information on infertility, visit the Center for Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology website.

About UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital

For more than a century, UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital has provided high-quality medical care to women at all stages of life. UPMC Magee is long-renowned for its services to women and babies but also offers a wide range of care to men as well. Our patient-first approach ensures you and your loved ones get the care you need. Nearly 10,000 babies are born each year at Magee, and our NICU is one of the largest in the country. Our network of care – from imaging centers to hospital services – provides care throughout Pennsylvania and Maryland, giving you a chance to get the expert care you need close to home. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recognizes UPMC Magee as a National Center of Excellence in Women’s Health, and the Magee-Womens Research Institute is the largest research institute in the U.S. devoted exclusively to women’s health and reproductive biology.