Thousands of women each year undergo some form of breast surgery.
These procedures can improve your self-image, address back and neck pain, or help you feel more comfortable following your breast cancer treatment.
5 Main Categories of Breast Surgery
- Breast augmentation, in which saline or gel implants increase breast size
- Breast correction to address breast asymmetry
- Breast reduction to decrease the overall size of the breasts when they are disproportionate to body structure
- Breast lifts to restore fullness to the breasts
- Breast reconstruction to reconstruct the breast after it has been removed or disfigured.
Many patients are surprised to learn that breast surgeries are performed as outpatient procedures. Breast augmentation, for example, is generally performed through short, unobtrusive incisions beneath the breast.
You might also like…
Learn more about the breast surgery process, your first consultation, as well as risks associated with these procedures in a blog post by Dr. Nathalie Lavallee, MD, a plastic and reconstructive surgeon at UPMC Susquehanna.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Based in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and more than 700 doctor’s offices and outpatient centers. Our expert physicians are among the leaders in their fields, and we are leaders in groundbreaking research and treatment breakthroughs. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside ranks as “One of America’s Best Hospitals” and No. 1 in Pennsylvania in U.S. News & World Report’s listings.