Scoliosis is a condition in which the spine curves to the side, rather than running straight. It’s often diagnosed during the teen and pre-teen years and seems to affect girls at a higher rate than boys.
In some cases, scoliosis can cause visible symptoms — such as uneven shoulders or hips, or one leg that appears longer than the other. To prevent these symptoms from worsening, people with scoliosis often wear body braces that cover much of their torso. And for teens, this brace may affect their sense of self-esteem.
Luckily, there are plenty of options for those who want to disguise their brace, be comfortable, and stay on trend.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Clothes to Wear Under a Scoliosis Brace
The clothing you wear under a scoliosis brace is nearly as important as what you wear over it. If you have scoliosis, look for these types of shirts:
- Tight-fitting, seamless shirts to prevent chafing
- T-shirts that cover the armpit (if brace comes up to armpit area)
- Shirts made of breathable material (braces can be warm)
Several brands create clothing that’s designed to be worn under your scoliosis brace, but you can find plenty of options at regular stores, too. If you go shopping, remember to wear your brace so you can try it out with your new clothes before you buy.
Clothes to Wear Over a Scoliosis Brace
Today’s fashion trends make it easier than ever to find outfits that are in style and make your brace disappear.
- Leggings with long shirts or tunics (leggings are comfortable to wear with a brace, and tunics tend to be loose and flowy, which hides most braces)
- Dresses and skirts with elastic waists (long skirts and stretchy dresses cover braces and keep you cool)
- Vests (pairing a vest with a tank can keep you cool in the summer, and their loose design disguises places where your brace might show if you wore a tank alone)
- Off-the-shoulder tops or dresses with uneven hemlines (uneven hems are on-trend, and they help disguise any body unevenness caused by scoliosis)
- Accessories (statement jewelry and infinity scarves are great for disguising uneven shoulders and drawing attention up toward the face)
- Layers (never out of style, a top paired with a sweater, jacket, blazer, etc. is a surefire way to keep your brace hidden and make a fashion statement)
Where to Shop for Scoliosis-Friendly Clothing
With a creative eye, you can keep shopping at all of your favorite clothing stores, but plenty of online brands offer clothing for those with scoliosis. You can find trendy pieces that fit your body and your brace and boost your confidence along the way.
Visit the Spine Center page on the UPMC Children’s Hospital website for information on spine treatment.
From nutrition to illnesses, from athletics to school, children will face many challenges growing up. Parents often will make important health care decisions for them. We hope to help guide both of you in that journey. UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh is a national leader in pediatric care, ranking consistently on U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals Honor Roll. We provide expert treatment for pediatric diseases, along well-child visits, urgent care, and more. With locations across Pennsylvania, Maryland, and West Virginia, you can find world-class care close to home. We also work closely with UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital, a national leader in care for newborns and their mothers. Our goal is to provide the best care for your children, from birth to adulthood and beyond. Visit our website to find a doctor near you.