Learn about the signs of overeating

Often called the “silent killer,” carbon monoxide poisoning is a potentially deadly illness caused by carbon monoxide gas (CO). While death from this illness is rare — there are just over 400 cases per year in the U.S. according to the Centers for Disease Control — your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning is still significant. Learn more about identifying and preventing CO poisoning.

The Pittsburgh Poison Center can be reached at 1-800-222-1222. Call to learn more about preventing carbon monoxide poisoning.

Never Miss a Beat!

Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!

Message and data rates may apply. Text the word STOP to opt out and HELP for help. Click here to view the privacy and terms.

What Is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas, which is what makes it so dangerous. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), anyone can be exposed to the gas without knowing it, and it can be deadly if you breathe it in for a long period of time. CO poisoning can be fatal for anyone, but people with chronic health conditions, as well as the very young and very old, are more vulnerable to its effects.

CO is produced any time fuel is burned. This includes many common items, such as furnaces, non-electric space heaters, stoves, water heaters, grills, fireplaces, cars and trucks, generators, small engines, and other machinery.

What Are the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

The CDC explains that most signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu. If you’re exposed to CO, you may experience:

  • Vomiting
  • Headaches/dizziness
  • Confusion/irritability
  • Weakness
  • Chest pain

Carbon monoxide can also cause you to pass out. Exposure to CO while sleeping or passed out can be fatal. It’s important to be aware of symptoms any time you’re near equipment that burns fuel or fire, such as when your home furnace runs in the winter.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency provides several tips for determining whether your symptoms are from carbon monoxide or the flu. You may have CO poisoning if you have flu-like symptoms and:

  • More than one person in your house gets sick on the same day
  • You feel better when you leave the building
  • You have symptoms during or right after starting your car or being around a running vehicle in a garage
  • Your pets are sick, too (remember, human viruses cannot be transmitted to animals)

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Despite the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, it is entirely preventable. The first step to preventing illness or death due to CO exposure is installing a carbon monoxide detector/alarm in your home or business These may plug into the wall or be battery-operated, like your smoke alarm. The CDC recommends that you inspect your CO alarm to make sure it’s working properly every time you adjust your clocks — twice per year.

RELATED: How Asbestos Still Threatens Your Health

Follow these additional tips from the CDC to keep you and your family safe from CO poisoning:

  • Have a qualified professional inspect your furnace, water heater, and all gas-burning appliances every year.
  • Don’t use charcoal or gasoline-burning devices in or near your home.
  • Don’t use a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Don’t use a gas oven to heat your house.
  • Always open your garage door before starting your car. If your garage is attached to your house, never leave a car running inside it even if your garage door is open.
  • Use generators and other outdoor fuel-burning devices at least 20 feet away from any window, door, or vent.

If you experience signs of CO poisoning or notice them in someone else:

  • Immediately move to fresh air.
  • Turn off all appliances/devices.
  • Call your local poison control center.
  • If you are already feeling very ill, call 911 or ask a non-exposed person to drive you to the nearest emergency department.

The Pittsburgh Poison Center can be reached at 1-800-222-1222. Call to learn more about preventing carbon monoxide poisoning.

About Pittsburgh Poison Center

The Pittsburgh Poison Center is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, to provide poison information and respond to emergencies. You can call 1-800-222-1222, 24 hours a day, for emergency help. We answer more than 100,000 calls each year from across Pennsylvania, at no cost to callers. Our staff of nurse specialists has extensive training in clinical toxicology. We also created a network of more than 70 hospitals throughout the state for consultation and follow-up treatment of poison exposure. For nearly 50 years, our symbol Mr. Yuk has helped to educate children and adults about poison prevention and poison center awareness. All stickers of Mr. Yuk carry important poison control phone numbers.