UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh is a leader in caring for underserved communities – especially families in need.
From access to cutting-edge treatments to a variety of social and financial support programs, UPMC Children’s Hospital staff is eager to serve.
The Lawrenceville-based hospital is among U.S. News & World Report’s Honor Roll of Best Children’s Hospitals this year, reporting nearly 13,000 inpatient stays and 21,000 surgeries in 2021 alone.
Here are just a few resources available to children and families in need of quality, affordable care close to home.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Ronald McDonald Care Mobile
In partnership with the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Pittsburgh and Morgantown, W.Va., the Ronald McDonald Care Mobile is a primary care center on wheels.
UPMC Children’s brings nurses, pediatricians, and respiratory therapists directly to children and teens throughout the region who are in need of medical care.
Services offered to those unable to visit a doctor regularly include:
- Routine physical exams.
- Sick child visits.
- Pediatric primary care.
- Lead screenings.
- Food, nutrition, health, and safety education.
- Asthma care.
- Referrals for specialty care.
- Vision screenings.
- Sexual health care.
- Vision screenings.
- Child and infant care.
Ronald McDonald Care Mobile staff are able to give families information about other resources available in their community, too, and offer a range of health education classes to people of all ages.
The Care Mobile is available for school visits, community programs, early childcare centers, family centers, and beyond.
Anyone interested in Care Mobile services can call 412-352-1059 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. To apply for a Care Mobile visit at a school or other location, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 412-352-1060.
UPMC Children’s Family Care Connection
Believing that it “takes a village” to raise a family, UPMC Children’s Family Care Connection centers broaden access to neighborhood health care and social support.
Part of the Allegheny County Family Support network, Family Care Connection centers provide family support services to help meet the region’s growing needs.
The centers host a mix of medical staff with development specialists, fatherhood engagement specialists, health coaches, and behavioral therapists to care for families both physically and psychologically.
Staff members offer home visits and on-site services for infants, children, parents, and families. Enrollment is free, and the services provided adapt to each family’s need.
- Infant and toddler development.
- Kindergarten preparedness.
- Child development screenings.
- Parent support and education.
- Fatherhood education.
- Family development.
- Behavioral counseling.
- Parent-child interaction therapy.
- Dental pop-up clinics.
- Family and community events.
Family Care Connection centers are conveniently located throughout the Pittsburgh region in Braddock, Rankin, Turtle Creek, Penn Hills, Lawrenceville, and Mt. Oliver.
For more information, visit www.chp.edu/locations/family-care-connection.
Salud Para Niños: UPMC Children’s Spanish Clinic
In 2002, the first pediatric bilingual clinic in southwestern Pennsylvania was created at UPMC Children’s Hospital. Since its creation, this clinic has expanded to become the Salud Para Niños (Health for the Children) program.
Salud Para Niños offers Spanish-speaking children and families the following opportunities for culturally and linguistically competent primary care:
- Free Bilingual Pediatric Primary Care and Immunizations Clinic: (Appointment and health insurance NOT required.) Every second Saturday of the month at the Birmingham Free Clinic in the South Side, 2100 Jane Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203.
- Free Bilingual Pediatric Primary Care Clinic: (Appointment required but health insurance is NOT required.) Every fourth Tuesday of the month at the Birmingham Free Clinic in the South Side, 2100 Jane Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203.
- Bilingual Pediatric Primary Care and Immunizations Clinic: (Appointment and health insurance ARE required.) Every Tuesday morning, Thursday evening after 5 p.m., and Friday morning at the UPMC Children’s Primary Care Center in Oakland, 3420 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.
The clinic also provides activities oriented toward prevention and empowering the community about its own health including:
- A bilingual literacy program.
- Parental reading materials and information about health promotion in Spanish.
- Injury prevention programs.
- Hispanic car seat checks.
- Participation in fairs and events related to health promotion and prevention.
- A Spanish phone line.
For more information about the Salud Para Niños, please call 412-692-6000, Option 8 (during business hours).
UPMC Children’s AnywhereCare
Children can get sick at any time, sometimes without warning. It might be difficult to schedule an in-person visit with your child’s pediatrician when that happens. With UPMC Children’s AnywhereCare, children up to age 17 can access UPMC Children’s nationally-ranked specialists from wherever they are via live video 24/7.
Our pediatric care specialists can diagnose, provide treatment options, and prescribe medication for many nonemergency illnesses including:
- Bronchitis and cough.
- Cold and flu symptoms.
- Pink eye.
- Seasonal allergies.
- Sinus infections.
- Tick bites.
- Urinary tract infections.
- Vaginal yeast infections.
- General medical advice.
For more UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh resources, visit www.chp.edu.
From nutrition to illnesses, from athletics to school, children will face many challenges growing up. Parents often will make important health care decisions for them. We hope to help guide both of you in that journey. UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh is a national leader in pediatric care, ranking consistently on U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals Honor Roll. We provide expert treatment for pediatric diseases, along well-child visits, urgent care, and more. With locations across Pennsylvania, Maryland, and West Virginia, you can find world-class care close to home. We also work closely with UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital, a national leader in care for newborns and their mothers. Our goal is to provide the best care for your children, from birth to adulthood and beyond. Visit our website to find a doctor near you.