For many men, discussing men’s health issues or seeking help can seem embarrassing. Sometimes, the first time they visit a doctor is to address male health conditions.
The UPMC Men’s Health Center focuses on the evaluation and treatment of men’s sexual and reproductive health. Here, men are able to seek help in a comfortable, educational, and discreet setting.
Kathleen Hwang, MD, the director of male reproductive health at the UPMC Men’s Health Center, answers questions about men’s health and treatments.
Q: What is the Men’s Health Center?
The UPMC Men’s Health Center is a comprehensive center for all types of men’s health, although we especially target sexual and reproductive health. Here, we bring together different types of providers dedicated to men’s health. This collaboration helps us make sure we treat all aspects of an issue a patient may be experiencing.
Q: What brings men to the Men’s Health Center?
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
The most common conditions we see are erectile dysfunction, male infertility, and Peyronie’s disease. We also provide education and information about contraceptives like vasectomies. But we treat a wide variety of conditions, including:
- Delayed or absent ejaculation: the inability of a man to achieve climax within a reasonable amount of time.
- Erectile dysfunction: the inability to achieve or maintain an erection.
- Low testosterone: a reduction in the amount of testosterone the body produced by the body.
- Male infertility: Male fertility problems come from hormone imbalances, abnormalities, and genetic or medical problems.
- Peyronie’s disease: a condition that causes a curved erection, which can interfere with sex.
- Post-prostatectomy erectile dysfunction and penile rehabilitation: Some men who have surgery for prostate and bladder cancers are at risk.
- Post-prostatectomy urinary incontinence: After pelvic surgery, men may lose bladder control.
- Premature ejaculation: when ejaculation happens in response to minimal stimulation.
Q: How can experts at the Men’s Health Center help diagnose and treat male infertility?
Infertility impacts both members of the relationship. The Men’s Health Center partners with the Center for Fertility and Reproductive Endocrinology at UPMC Magee-Womens Hospital.
Together, we go step by step to identify environmental or lifestyle exposures. We work through their medical diagnoses to help figure out how we can get the couple pregnant.
Q: What are the other services offered?
We offer more than male fertility and reproductive health services. We offer a range of medical and surgical options to treat a variety of conditions, including:
- MicroTESE: This may be one of the best treatments for male infertility.
- Penile implant: This surgically placed device allows a man with erectile dysfunction to have an erection.
- Sperm retrieval: Experienced surgeons use advanced microsurgical techniques to extract sperm for in vitro fertilization.
- Vasectomy: This safe, minimally invasive in-office procedure provides a permanent surgical option for contraception.
- Vasectomy reversal: While vasectomies are intended to be permanent, they can be reversed.
Q: How can one make an appointment?
To make an appointment, call 1-877-641-4636 or fill out our online form. One of our staff members will help you schedule your appointment.
For more information about the UPMC Men’s Health Center, visit UPMC.com/MensHealth.
Connect with UPMC
About Men’s Health Center
The UPMC Men’s Health Center evaluates and treats conditions affecting men’s sexual and reproductive health. With years of clinical experience in male sexual medicine and surgery, our team has treated a wide variety of conditions and performed thousands of surgeries. We are dedicated to providing patients the highest level of quality care. Our providers understand the intimate nature of male sexual difficulties, and we will work to help you restore your normal level of sexual function in a comfortable, educational, and discreet environment.