Spring has finally sprung, and you know what that means: time for spring cleaning. Although washing your windows and scrubbing your floors are important, we encourage you also to take the time to spring clean your health. So open up your windows, get some fresh air, and read through these tips on how to tidy up your well-being.
- Come out of hibernation – It’s our body’s natural reaction to become more lethargic in the winter. With the cold temperatures and fewer hours of sunlight, we tend to want to stay indoors and sleep more. Now that spring is here, wake yourself up and make an effort to become more active.
- Spruce up your exercise routine – A lot of us are guilty of slacking off with our physical fitness in the winter. Now that it’s warming up outside, throw your cold weather excuses in the garbage and get moving. Take advantage of the weather and move your workout outdoors. Whether you enjoy walking, biking, or any outdoor sport, a change in your routine could make all the difference.
- Clean out your refrigerator and pantry – Bad eating habits are quick to form in the winter. Take this time to clear out that junk food that you’ve been harboring and opt for fresh fruits and vegetables. Want the best of what’s in season? Go for asparagus, spinach, pineapple, and strawberries, to name a few. View a full list of seasonal produce.
- Throw away old products – Check the labels and clear out expired prescriptions and products that might be hiding in the back your medicine cabinet and make-up bag.
- Tidy up your home – Spend a day cleaning out the dust and dirt that has been burrowing in your home this winter. Allergy season is upon us and a clean home can go a long way in reducing the likelihood that you fall victim to allergens.
- Schedule check-ups – Most of us only go to the doctor when something is wrong. Make the choice to be proactive with your health this spring. Schedule your annual wellness appointments to make sure that you are staying on track for a healthy future.
- De-stress – Spring is a rebirth. Embrace this idea by re-evaluating your priorities and be sure to put your mental well-being on the top of that list. With more sunlight and that fresh spring air, take the time to relax and enjoy doing the things that you love. That errand can wait until later.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
About Urgent Care
Sometimes you need care right away, with no time to wait for an appointment. That’s where UPMC Urgent Care comes in. We offer prompt treatment for illnesses and injuries seven days a week, with no appointment necessary. With locations throughout Pennsylvania and Maryland, you can find immediate care close to you – even if your doctor’s office is closed. Our services include treatment for minor injuries and illnesses, physicals, prescription filling, and flu shots and immunizations. Wait times for minor injuries and illnesses are usually shorter than the Emergency Department, and we accept most major insurance. Visit our website to find a location close to you.