These veggie-powered tacos are satisfying, nutritious, and can be customized to fit any palette! Shake up your usual taco filling with roasted and spiced butternut squash and finish your taco with your favorite toppings.
Get the recipe.
Recipe serves: 3-4 servings
- 5 cups butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cube
- 1 can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large drizzle of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Wheat or corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup store-bought salsa (optional)
- 1/2 lime, zested and squeezed (optional)
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Lettuce or broccoli slaw for topping (optional)
- Crema, for drizzling (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 F. Peel and chop squash into 1 inch pieces. Toss with large drizzle of olive oil, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt/pepper. Put on large sheet pan. Then bake squash.
- Place the sheet pan of squash in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Remove from oven, toss around and return for another 10-15 minutes or until caramelized.
- Rinse and drain beans while squash is in the oven. When the squash is taken out of the oven when done add in the beans to heat them up.
- While the beans warm up and the butternut squash cools, make the sauce. Add in sour cream, salsa, and lime juice/zest into a bowl. Mix to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add water to thin it out if desired.
- Warm up the tortillas before serving, top with all of the ingredients you would like and then drizzle the cream on top and serve.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You can now select the specific newsletters you'd like to receive.
You are already subscribed.
Subscribe to more newsletters in our email preference center.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Connect with UPMC
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.