This take on a classic carrot cake brings all the traditional flavors you love with a lighter twist. Carrots, applesauce, and a blend of warm spices make this dessert a perfect treat.
Total time:1 hour
Preparation time:20 minutes
Cooking time:40 minutes
Recipe serves: 18 Servings
- 6 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Lightly grease a 9X13 pan with nonfat cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites. Slowly beat in sugar, then applesauce, skim milk, and vanilla. Stir in cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking soda, and flour. Stir in, one ingredient at a time: pineapple (with juice), carrots, walnuts, and raisins. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. It is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Calories (per serving): 167
Per Serving: protein 3.9g; carbohydrates 34.1g; fat 2.4g; cholesterol 0.1mg; sodium 171.1mg.
Healthy Dessert Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Sign Up to Receive Our Carrot Cake Recipe!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Or, Get The Recipe Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.