Traditional baked cookies often include heavy ingredients that are high in fat and sugar.
Substitute your next dessert for these chewy truffle cookies, packed with nutritious ingredients like dates for natural sweetness. In our version, we topped the cookies with nuts, coconut flakes, and oats for a crunchy addition.
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Recipe Serves: 6
- Combine the dates, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat breaking up any large pieces of dates with a spoon, until the mixture resembles a thick paste, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the honey, peanut butter, cocoa powder, butter and salt until evenly combined.
- Stir in the graham crackers and oats. Remove from heat.
- Lightly mist a baking sheet with cooking spray. Drop level tablespoons of the cookie mixture onto the prepared pan. Refrigerate until just chilled and set, about 20 minutes.
- Put desired optional toppings in small bowls. Roll each cookie in desired topping and flatten slightly into a plump disk. Cover and refrigerate until firm. Serve chilled.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
Based in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and more than 700 doctor’s offices and outpatient centers. Our expert physicians are among the leaders in their fields, and we are leaders in groundbreaking research and treatment breakthroughs. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside ranks as “One of America’s Best Hospitals” and No. 1 in Pennsylvania in U.S. News & World Report’s listings.