Recipe Video: No-Bake Chewy Truffle Cookies
Traditional baked cookies often include heavy ingredients that are high in fat and sugar.
Substitute your next dessert for these chewy truffle cookies, packed with nutritious ingredients like dates for natural sweetness. In our version, we topped the cookies with nuts, coconut flakes, and oats for a crunchy addition.
No Bake Chewy Truffle Cookies
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Serving Size: 6
- 1 cup dried pitted dates, 4-ounces, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat or no-stir natural chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 full sheets whole wheat graham crackers, finely ground, about 1 1/4 cups
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, not instant
- Cooking spray
- Combine the dates, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat breaking up any large pieces of dates with a spoon, until the mixture resembles a thick paste, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the honey, peanut butter, cocoa powder, butter and salt until evenly combined.
- Stir in the graham crackers and oats. Remove from heat.
- Lightly mist a baking sheet with cooking spray. Drop level tablespoons of the cookie mixture onto the prepared pan. Refrigerate until just chilled and set, about 20 minutes.
- Put desired optional toppings in small bowls. Roll each cookie in desired topping and flatten slightly into a plump disk. Cover and refrigerate until firm. Serve chilled.