Cooking time:20 minutes
Recipe serves: 6
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ½” chunks
- 2 bell peppers, cut into ½” chunks
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 medium red onion, cut into ½” chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (13.25-ounce) box whole-grain penne
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup shredded Italian cheese blend, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray two jelly roll pans with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together zucchini, peppers, broccoli, onion, garlic, and oil. Divide mixture between pans in a single even layer.
- Roast vegetables for 15-20 minutes or until browned and tender, tossing halfway through.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and heat over high heat. Once the water reaches a boil, add pasta, and cook until tender. Remove from heat and drain in a colander, reserving ½ cup cooking water.
- Return drained pasta to the saucepan and add roasted vegetables, tomatoes, basil, and red pepper. Stir to combine, adding reserved cooking water if necessary.
- Top with cheese prior to serving.
Editor's Note: This recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Pasta Night Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Thank you for subscribing!
You are already subscribed.
Sorry, an error occurred. Please try again later.
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.