Bring a taste of Italy home with this super easy meal. The creaminess of vodka sauce pairs perfectly with the cheesy tortellini and the fresh basil adds some freshness. Feeling a bit more adventurous? Why not stir in a bit of spinach too for some additional nutrition and color.
- 3-3/8 lbs. plum tomatoes, whole, canned
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4-1/4 oz. yellow onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 4-1/4 oz. vodka
- 4-1/4 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/8 oz. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt, kosher
- ½ tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1 package of cheese tortellini, frozen
- In a food processor, pulse tomatoes to a chunky consistency.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic softens.
- Add vodka to deglaze pan. Cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in tomatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cream, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions and toss with sauce.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
Based in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and more than 700 doctor’s offices and outpatient centers. Our expert physicians are among the leaders in their fields, and we are leaders in groundbreaking research and treatment breakthroughs. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside ranks as “One of America’s Best Hospitals” and No. 1 in Pennsylvania in U.S. News & World Report’s listings.