Tired of the same old Sloppy Joe recipes? Mix together mushrooms, walnuts, and spices for all the traditional Sloppy Joe flavors without the ground beef. We spiced up our version with red cabbage and jalapeno toppings for an added kick.
- Pulse the mushrooms in batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, 1 tablespoon beer and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the walnuts and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, 3/4 teaspoon black pepper and chipotle powder and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are just cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining beer, the ketchup, tomato paste and 1/8 teaspoon salt and cook while stirring until the sauce is the consistency that you like, about 2 minutes.
- Spoon the mixture onto each bun. Serve with toppings if desired.
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
Based in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and more than 700 doctor’s offices and outpatient centers. Our expert physicians are among the leaders in their fields, and we are leaders in groundbreaking research and treatment breakthroughs. UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside ranks as “One of America’s Best Hospitals” and No. 1 in Pennsylvania in U.S. News & World Report’s listings.