The perfect make-ahead breakfast for busy mornings, this egg bake is packed with protein, dietary fiber, and B vitamins – a combination that will stabilize blood glucose levels and leave you feeling satisfied and energized all day long.
Adapted from “The Lemon Bowl”
Cooking Time: 38 Minutes
Recipe Serves: 10 servings
- 12 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 10½ cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 bunch green onions, minced
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9×13” baking dish with nonstick spray set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, water, salt, and pepper.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté the spinach until it wilts (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add the black beans, cumin, and oregano to the skillet, stirring until well-mixed.
- Transfer the spinach-bean mixture to the prepared baking dish. Spread evenly.
- Pour the eggs over the spinach-bean mixture.
- Add the green onions. Use a fork to stir, ensuring that the spinach-bean mixture and green onions are fully coated in egg.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top of the egg bake. Bake for 35 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through.
Quick and Easy Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
About UPMC Harrisburg
UPMC Harrisburg is a nationally recognized leader in providing high-quality, patient-centered health care services in south central PA. and surrounding rural communities. UPMC Harrisburg includes seven acute care hospitals and over 160 outpatient clinics and ancillary facilities serving Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, Juniata, Franklin, Adams, and parts of Snyder counties. These locations care for more than 1.2 million area residents yearly, providing life-saving emergency care, essential primary care, and leading-edge diagnostic services. Its cardiovascular program is nationally recognized for its innovation and quality. It also leads the region with its cancer, neurology, transplant, obstetrics-gynecology, maternity care, and orthopaedic programs.