Bring a taste of Italy home with this super easy meal. The creaminess of vodka sauce pairs perfectly with the cheesy tortellini and the fresh basil adds some freshness. Feeling a bit more adventurous? Why not stir in a bit of spinach too for some additional nutrition and color.
Ingredients for Tortellini in Vodka Sauce
- 3-3/8 lbs. plum tomatoes, whole, canned
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4-1/4 oz. yellow onions, diced
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 4-1/4 oz. vodka
- 4-1/4 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 2-1/8 oz. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt, kosher
- ½ tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1 package of cheese tortellini, frozen
- In a food processor, pulse tomatoes to a chunky consistency.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 6 to 7 minutes or until translucent.
- Stir in garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic softens.
- Add vodka to deglaze pan. Cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in tomatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in cream, basil, salt and pepper.
- Cook tortellini according to package directions and toss with sauce.
Pasta Night Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.