October is National Cookie Month! Cookies don’t have to weigh down your diet. Try this delicious alternative!
Featuring Tamara Rhodes, MS, RD, LDN
Adapted from “Hummusapien”
Cooking Time: 17 Minutes
Recipe Serves: 16 cookies
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas
- 8 dates, pitted
- ½ cup creamy almond butter
- ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¼ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas very well (so they don’t taste beany). Shake off any excess water.
- Add all the ingredients (except chopped apple) to a large food processor. Process until mixture is very smooth (like hummus), scraping down the sides as needed.
- Fold in the chopped apple.
- Spoon batter onto baking sheet in even mounds. Wet hands and pat down into smooth cookie shapes. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Allow to cool; store in the refrigerator.
Fall Flavors Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
About UPMC Harrisburg
UPMC Harrisburg is a nationally recognized leader in providing high-quality, patient-centered health care services in south central PA. and surrounding rural communities. UPMC Harrisburg includes seven acute care hospitals and over 160 outpatient clinics and ancillary facilities serving Dauphin, Cumberland, Perry, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, Juniata, Franklin, Adams, and parts of Snyder counties. These locations care for more than 1.2 million area residents yearly, providing life-saving emergency care, essential primary care, and leading-edge diagnostic services. Its cardiovascular program is nationally recognized for its innovation and quality. It also leads the region with its cancer, neurology, transplant, obstetrics-gynecology, maternity care, and orthopaedic programs.