It’s no secret that salmon is a smart heart-healthy choice when it comes to picking out a protein to prepare. Jazz it up a notch with a sweet and tangy apricot cranberry glaze and serve with a side of steamed broccoli or sautéed zucchini for a truly colorful plate.
Ingredients for Grilled Salmon with Apricot Cranberry Glaze
For the Salmon
- 1/16 tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1/16 tsp. salt
- 1 4 oz. wild caught salmon fillet, thawed
For the Sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4-7/8 oz. dried apricots, cut into strips
- 12 oz. cranberries, dried & sweetened
- 4 oz. cranberry juice cocktail
- 1-1/4 oz. light brown sugar
- Combine apricots, dried cranberries and juice. Cover, and let rest until dried fruit are rehydrated.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Set aside
Prepare the Fish
- Spray each side of fillets with vegetable oil spray
- Season each fillet with 1/16 tsp pepper and 1/16 tsp salt.
- Place Salmon flesh side down on grill. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn, and cook for another 2 minutes. Minimum internal temperature should be at least 145 degrees F. (for 15 seconds).
- Serve with some sauce over the fish
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
You might also like…
A $21 billion health care provider and insurer, Pittsburgh-based UPMC is inventing new models of patient-centered, cost-effective, accountable care. The largest nongovernmental employer in Pennsylvania, UPMC integrates more than 90,000 employees, 40 hospitals, 700 doctors’ offices and outpatient sites, and a 3.8 million-member Insurance Services Division, the largest medical insurer in western Pennsylvania. In the most recent fiscal year, UPMC contributed $1.4 billion in benefits to its communities, including more care to the region’s most vulnerable citizens than any other health care institution, and paid more than $500 million in federal, state, and local taxes. Working in close collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences, UPMC shares its clinical, managerial, and technological skills worldwide through its innovation and commercialization arm, UPMC Enterprises, and through UPMC International. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside on its annual Honor Roll of America’s Best Hospitals and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. For more information, go to UPMC.com.